My Saloon Curiosity

Last Saturday I went for a hair cut. While the cun babe is in the middle of “dealing” my hair, suddenly saw a mid-age malay woman bertudung came in and approached the reception, seems like asking something and then left. I did not know the content of the conversation at all of course as I was quite far away from the reception desk. However this question suddenly arised. I think all of us should know the reason behind a malay females wearing a tudung, if you happen to doesn’t know, ask around your friends, better if is a malay friend. Now the question – How malay females have their hair cut in saloon?

So I asked this cun babe whom dealed with my hair about this question. This pretty girl then told me, some saloon has a special room which is seperated from the public area just to cater them, so they have their hair cut inside the room without worrying anything. As for those saloon which doesn’t has this special room, still they will have their hair done in the public area same as everyone else, provided if they willing to, BUT only females are allow to serve them. Now, this is a thing where eventhough I heard it but I still had a hard time figuring it out, my this cun babe told me also that after they had their hair cut done, they will collect back all their cut hair from the floor and bring it back. For what reason? Seriously I didn’t know….

Any malay readers out there which can help me on this question? or anybody who knows why? Thanks~ I believe a lot of people would like to know as well, hope this is not an offending issue~

Nastasshea@Nesh said during July 5th, 2007 at 9:35 am

Hmmm my brother never mentioned to me about this b4… he’s a hairstylist too in one of the top 10 standard saloon. Wah jealous man see him come home having pictures of him and siti nurhaliza and reshmonu and etc! *jealous jealous*

manchurr said during July 5th, 2007 at 10:17 am

i’m a malay.. collect back all their cut hair from the floor and bring it back? i neva heard of that one, maybe coz i neva asked them about hair-do ๐Ÿ˜› huhuhuhu..

flisterz said during July 5th, 2007 at 1:51 pm

ok i’ll try ๐Ÿ™‚

wearing tudung for malay woman is because it is religiously illegal to allow other man from seeing their hair, except husband,father etc.so having to cut their hair in a separate room is obviously beacuse of that.

collecting their cut hair back. wow i never heard bout that either. maybe because the cut hair is still considered as their hair so it should be protected from being seen by other male. thats my opinion ๐Ÿ™‚

Mui Chew Fong said during July 5th, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Where you cut your hair? The Thomas and Guys in SS2 also not bad. I went there last weekend, and saw few groups of teenagers like your age visiting the salon. They made me think of you..hehe

pinksterz said during July 5th, 2007 at 7:59 pm

i am offended! am going to sue you kao kao! xD

haha. i use to collect the hair when i was kid because i couldn’t stand my grandma nagging (heck, she even nag when i wear jeans *eye rolling*)

but now i just don’t bother to do it. who cares about stupid cut hair anyway? ๐Ÿ˜›

Rabbit said during July 5th, 2007 at 9:17 pm

Geezz… collect the hair back home? Do what? Collection ah?

boon said during July 5th, 2007 at 11:31 pm

@Nesh: hoho~ then u mah always have a free haircut? or maybe to be a white mice?:P

@manchurr: still remain a myth huh ๐Ÿ˜› will it be sensitive to actually ask them about this?

@flisterz: yup, that’s also what i knew the reason behind of wearing a tudung. So they just collect bak and dispose it from home?

@Mui Chew Fong: oi, dun simply simply ar, later my fansee here simply simply think who u r! ๐Ÿ˜› anyway, nvr been to the Thomas & Guys before…

@pinksterz: But it was a custom for malays is it for collecting it back? wah~ can see that ur grandma is very tradition ๐Ÿ˜› so as most of the grandmas outside there ๐Ÿ˜€

@Rabbit: wah~~ then their home mah a lot of hairs?? 1 ppl already a lot, imagine if is a family :O

pinksterz said during July 6th, 2007 at 1:13 pm

ahahaha. not sure whether it is a custom or not. but even if it is taken back, it is either we bury it or let it out to the sea.

that’s what i got from my grandma on the phone last night

i have to endure hour of nag you know for that!

-___-”

rabbit: can make rambut palsu! xD

Mui Chew Fong said during July 6th, 2007 at 2:24 pm

Aiyo, not simply simply lah. I also one of your FANCEEEE mah. Can not meh?
I m very kacau lah. heheh

lukxiufung said during July 6th, 2007 at 4:42 pm

waa.collect hair back oh….so scary….curse ah…

crystal said during July 7th, 2007 at 12:33 pm

ok my aunty have a saloon as well
i also ask her before but errr i cant remember the answer lol

there is one time i went to her shop and a malay gal with tudung went to cut hair then after cutting my aunty sweep the hair and pack it into the newspaper n give her back… hmmm maybe next time i see her again i will ask for you heh

boon said during July 8th, 2007 at 5:19 pm

@pinksterz: hahha, thanks for putting urself into nagging situation for this woh ๐Ÿ˜› let out to the sea, wah..luckily nowadays not many ppl practice that, if not really sea pollution ๐Ÿ™

@Mui Chew Fong: hhhee, can~~ of course can lah :p

@lukxiufung: dun think is curse lah, wat for curse with own hair..

@Crystal: hhehehe, thank you woh crystal ๐Ÿ˜€ so many ppl open saloon wan here:P

seraphangel said during July 9th, 2007 at 10:38 pm

wah let it out to sea? wonder if it gets eaten by the fishes? If not the sea will have lots of hair on the sea bed.

boon said during July 10th, 2007 at 1:13 am

soo…the seaweeds u eat might not be a seaweed after all…

kaklong said during July 11th, 2007 at 2:52 pm

well, usually we don’t bring cut hair back. we hv to cover the hair to reduce sexual attraction for the men. are there any man out there that would be sexually aroused of cut hair on the floor? i don’t think so. hihi. maybe those who are a bit more extreme do it coz they think it’s sinful to leave the hair and let everybody sees it.

boon said during July 12th, 2007 at 10:36 am

OOOooo…seriously for me is the first time knowing bout it ๐Ÿ˜›

thanks for letting me know kaklong ๐Ÿ˜‰

Skylakh said during July 17th, 2007 at 1:58 pm

“Hair Collection” reminds me of “Borat? Hi 5

boon said during July 17th, 2007 at 11:27 pm

@Skylakh: is that a movie? never watch before if is so…

diywho said during April 4th, 2010 at 3:55 pm

hi boon, i feel like to give some my 2 worth cent about this “hair collection”. from my point of view, i can only think 1 reason if some muslim gal do that.if we cut our hair during “raise ur japan flag” period (i hope u get what i mean ;)…), we have to collect the hair and must wash it before we can dispose it. its related with “mandi wajib”.it is not only with hair but also nails. TQ :]